Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bunch of Bags

My best friend Jan joined me a few weeks ago in ripping up the carpet throughout our little house.  In appreciation, I am giving her these bags:

Thanks, Jan.

I modeled them after a reusable bag I had purchased from Jewel-Osco.

Here is the long version of the story:  Once upon a time.  The local Jewel-Osco grocery store was selling reusable bags.  For a dollar.  This was many, many years ago.  Jewel was ahead of its time.  I bought a bunch of these bags.  My mother bought bunches of them.  And she has now used these bags weekly for at least 15 years.  They're tough nylon things, but she has managed to wear holes in them and has patched those holes with: duct tape.

I saw that this was true and determined to provide her with similar reusable bags.  I brought her a few prototypes made from cotton duck fabric and she chose the one she liked best -- the one I modeled after the Jewel-Osco bag.  I made her a bunch of bags.  There was enough fabric left to make slightly smaller versions for myself.  Then the carpet and my best friend helping with that project, and now the smaller bunch of bags are hers.  Well, they soon will be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment